Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

THE LONG RUN......

The run has over recent years been the hardest discipline of triathlon. When I started racing I only did running races then graduated to tris & while I still do run races triathlon is my life. In my run only career I was consistently getting faster over the years & kept bettering my race times, it was very exciting & encouraging. For a while after competing in triathlon my run time did not decline too much after biking but then I got pregnant & took some time off of racing & when I got back to it it was hard to say the least. Things went up & down for a few seasons, I would have some really great races & some where I had to walk. Things were not consistent, but thinking back I was not training progressively either.

About 2 years ago I developed plantar fasciitis in my right foot & thought I could just train through it....boy was I wrong. I tried different shoes, ice, ibuprofen, everything but a foot doctor. My methods just masked the problem & I had to back out of the marathon in fear I would do more damage :-(. I continued to run till it became almost unbearable to walk upon waking & the pain after runs was horrific. Finally I went to see a foot & ankle doctor, I didn't know what to expect but I was hopeful he had some answers for me. I had some X-rays that revealed I had heel spurs on both heels but that was not the cause of my pain, I had a sever case of plantar fasciosis....apparently worse than fasciitis. Who knew!!! On the spot he said I should get a cortisone shot but I could not run till he was sure the inflammation was gone. I agreed to not run & got the shot. HOLY SHOT!!! if you have never had a cortisone shot it is crazy painful, i was like a child & asked to hold the other doctors hand & squeezed so tight he asked me to stop. immediately after I thought it was a mistake because I could not put any weight on it & it swelled up so much but the next day after icing it felt 90% better....already! I was also fitted for orthotics & never EVER go barefoot. So I had 4 months off of running which did not help my need to get faster, now all I wanted was to just run again.

Christmas time came & I found out I won the free training for a year from my coach Jennifer Harrison, I was super excited but now I really had to get running if I wanted to do IM. My doctor said I could start out with 20 minute treadmill runs & slowly progress. Jen has taken me from a 20 minute run to a 3 hour run in about 7 months. Over these few months it has been painful, promising, aggravating, exciting & more. I have had PT on my calf & foot, I have iced, taped, & taken more meds than I like to admit. All of it got me to this point.....my 3 hour long run. This was a great feeling run I needed going into this IM. I didn't have to walk or stop due to fatigue or pain, just traffic lights. Oh & the terrifying 1/2 mile out & back where I saw 3 coyotes & a deer. I was only scared of the coyotes....boy that 1 mile was a fast one too. Haha! Anyway, I logged 18.5 miles on that 3 hour run & it was the highlight of my week. I hope the first 18 miles of the marathon go that well.....without coyote sightings of course but I need to see some horses. I am racing in the right place that's for sure!

Goodnight,
Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment