Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

JFMTT RACE REPORT & MORE.....

John Frasier Memorial Time Trial....

It all started Saturday, I did my pre race workout...a short ride followed by a short transition run. I went to get some new bike cleaner to pretty up baby blue (my bike) & then some food.
When I got home I put the little one to bed & began polishing my bike & making sure I had everything ready for the TT. This was my 3rd time doing this race so I knew where I was going & how long it would take to get there (1hr 20 mins). The forecast said 40 degrees & rain, truth be told I am scared of riding in rain & falling. Coach told me I can go straight the same so....there you have it. Basically get over it....lol!

While cleaning baby blue all up I noticed I had a flat back tire & put some air in & waited...a little while later it was flat again. I begin to inspect the tire & I am ready with a new tube but I find a small hole in the rubber of the tire.....EFFFFF!!! I change the tube & hope it works, after all I only have to go about 10 miles for the TT tomorrow.

Wake up in the morning at 6:15 am, check the tire & its FLAT....panic sets in & I don't know what to do. I pump up my tire & then Todd (my husband) tells me to stay home. Is he CRAZY?! I CAN'T stay home....so I leave all frantic & sit at the end of the block for what seemed like 10 minutes only to turn around & come back home to try & somehow fix my tire....I felt it & I was convinced it was loosing air much more quickly that it actually was. When I got back home Todd assured me it was not loosing air & to just go & get em....so I pulled it together & I was on my way!

I get to Maple Park in plenty of time to get my bib & do my warmup....but it is 40, windy, slightly rainy & feels like its 30 on the bike....hard to warmup. Against that wind easy felt hard & hard felt impossible. They were running about 8 minutes late on start times so I had some time to go back & make sure my tires were filled & pray they lasted the 10 miles. This is a VERY competitive race with lots of disc wheelers &  aero helmets & then there's me....

The wind was crazy....going 13 miles an hour one way then 30 the other. Gotta love a tail wind! After my warmup I was NOT warm my face was freezing & my nose was running & I had to spit a few times only to have it come back at me....gross! I went as hard as my legs could against that wind & pushed hard on the tail wind...the tire held up. Thank you GOD!

Coach Jen had a 30 min transition run following the TT so I hit the pavement right away. My feet were numb from the cold air & I couldn't feel my legs from the effort. I felt like I was running so slow but GPS said 8:40....Woah, had to slow it down. Funny thing is, is that it felt better to run faster on my legs than slower but I slowed it down & found my legs & finished up just in time to see my coach & her hubby finish.

My time was the slowest of all 3 times racing but it was also the most windy....its all relative. I felt like I gave it all I had out there & that's what counts. When I got back home wouldn't you know my tire was flat....I was much calmer than when I left & happy to spend the rest of the day with my family.

More to come.....

Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment