Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

MUNCIE 70.3 RACE REPORT.....

Lets begin with the day before the race.....

I go teach spin class at 8:45am then pack up the car & drop the kiddies off at the in laws. Todd & I are on the road about 11:15 am. I plan on arriving at packet pick up about 3pm then heading to the race site for my Pre race workout. Well.....it did not happen like that. We got to packet pickup  about 4:30pm, I forgot about the time change, 1 hour ahead! After looking around & talking with friends I finally arrived at the race site around 6 pm for my pre race workout. Feeling like it was so late I only did a quick 20 min bike & 10 min run. Todd & I headed to the grocery store for some snacks & then went to the hotel that was just across the street. Thank you Bob for letting us take your extra room so we didn't have to stay an hour away. I truly enjoyed the extra sleep. I always make my own food when I go out of town because I have had too many bad experiences with my tummy & restaurant food. My favorite meal is tilapia, quinoa, avocado & a little hot gardinera. I was still hungry later so I had sone chicken & rice. After we ate I was really looking forward to going in the hot tub so we did hot tub & pool, back and forth about 4 or 5 times. It felt wonderful & I was completely relaxed & ready for bed. We went up stairs I prepared my bottles & gear for the next day & watched a little borders & fell fast asleep. Of course 4:30 am came way too quick but I got it together & we were off after a quick breakfast.

Parking for the race was a good distance from the transition area & I still had a lot to do before my start time. Time to hustle! Got in to transition & I had a nice spot, near the end of a rack. I was kind of far from the bike & run out but close to the bike in....after walking through my transitions I went to the long potty lines & waited....still thinking about my warmup I needed to do I was running out of time. I did get in a short run & then put on the wetsuit as it was wetsuit legal & was ready to get on my swim warmup, that was until I had that feeling AGAIN! Off to the potty once again. I saw my teammates & kissed Todd goodbye & ran into the warmest water ever. I usually love cold water but this felt great. I did a short swim & then went to hang with team members till it was 7:35... My start time.

As I sit with friends I notice pink caps in line but not my color pink but it was minutes from go time so I hurry over there & sure enough this was my wave. How was I the only 1 with a different color pink cap on???? I was special I guess ;-) I find my friend Lisa & the horn goes off & I swim my little heart out. During the whole swim I barely touched anyone, it was awesome! On the way back in however, the sun was right in my eyes. Thanks MJ for the tip on tinted goggles, good lookin out! Since there was a long run in from the swim & I can't run barefoot due to the plantar fasciitis I had my crocks ready to go. I noticed wetsuit stripper & took full advantage of them. Once on transition I di go to the wrong side of my bike but thank god I was near an end so around I went. Socks, sunglasses, helmet, bike.....run. Mount my bike & I am gone. This bike course is supposed to be flat & fast but there were some rollers. I caught up to Lisa, shes a fast swimmer & we did a back and forth thing for most of the bike. it was great to have her there. One section on the bike was a no passing zone, going out & coming back, what a pain! There was a very bumpy section of road that lasted 15 miles or more that vibrated my insides & made me feel like I was losing bike parts. Aside from that it was great! I was not sure of my bike time but I wanted sub 3 hours & I know I hit that. T2 was fast even though Todd was yelling at me to go faster. I definitely felt like i hac to pee but the line was too long & i was not about to try and pull dowm my 1 piece trisuit only to wrestle it back up, so i just let it go....ahhhh! Maybe it will make people move out of my way. Lol! I knew the run course was hilly since I rode a portion of it the day before in my pre race workout. I was feeling great & kept reeling in runners even though I didn't feel like my pace was quick. The run course was amazing. Water, ice, perform, coke, sponges, hoses, music.....you name it, it was there. I can't tell you enough how much I LOVE ice. It went down my front & back every aid station. It was getting hot & holy hills. From all the ice & pouring water on myself I was cool, but wet. This meant my feet were getting wet too, & I felt a blister on each foot starting to form. There were some times I had to walk but I still felt good. I saw many friends along the run course & that just kept me going. Secretly I do math as I run & I finally realized I was not going to have a PR this day but I still ran tough to the finish. I saw my husband, teammates & the finish line. 5:55:05 was the official time & I finished with a smile on my face. This race was so important to me to build some confidence I needed going into this ironman thing....

Post race I had a seriously nasty blister on my right foot that kept me from running for 6 days. I had some soreness but overall I think I was in good shape. The next day I took a nap & enjoyed some pool time. :-)

Till my next adventure....
Courtney

1 comment: