Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY....

It always seem that when I go on a long ride it rains at some point on that ride. A few weeks ago was no different. I set out for what was supposed to be my second 100+ mile ride & what do you know....it rained! We had about 30 minutes or so of no rain but then it happened, dark skies, cooler temperatures, higher winds & rain. Not just a little rain but a down pour. The kind of rain you don't want to drive in let alone ride a bike in for 100 miles. The skies did not look clear anywhere, the downhills were so scary I kept feathering the breaks afraid I was going to fall. it felt as though i was getting shot with a million little pellets & i had no choice but to keep riding. I could not see a thing through the heavy rain & didn't know weather to keep my glasses on or take them off. I decided I rather have rainy glasses than get hit in the eyes by the relentless rain.

I was with some really good company & although I was definitely mentally over this ride & getting crankier by the minute they kept my spirits up & helped me keep moving. After about 35 miles my low back was giving me some grief & if I could have had a way out I would have taken it. We all decided to take the shorter route 75 miles due mostly to time....we did not want to be out there for 8 hours or more. I was struggling with my back & my mood, luckily when we made a stop Michelle told me to fill a water bottle with hot water & put it down my back....OMG it worked! After about 10 minutes my back was feeling better and the rain was letting up some. Everything seemed to have gotten better, & I was much more pleasant to ride with. We finished our ride almost dry but my phone was not so lucky. I had my camelbak on & the rain soaked through & my touch screen was shot....DAMN!

The rain & the ride took it all out of me, I was tired & I slept like baby that night. This was a definite character building ride for me & I hope it doesn't rain on race day, but if it does I know I can get through it.  The next day I had a 2 hour bike followed by a 2 hour run. I actually had a really good run with friends. Great to have the company when you need to go long.

My next long ride was the 4th of July metric century....only 63 miles but it did not rain! It was a beautiful day & my friend Mary & I were cruising. The following day I had a 90 minute bike & did a 6 mile run with my running buddies again. Up next is Muncie....race report coming soon!

Goodnight,
Courtney

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you made it through the rain. (Did your phone recover?)

    ReplyDelete